Selling your home can be very emotional and at times a very intensive process. When you are ready to sell, make sure you are informed. Being informed can save you precious time and money. Below, you will find a list of topics that you should be aware of when selling your home. Be sure to take a read and send us a quick message if you have any further questions.
1. The “Talk”:
Just like buying, there are many factors involved with deciding to sell. We’ll sit down with you and go through the reasons and motivation for you to sell. To start you off, here are some pointers:
- Why do you want to sell?
- Is it the right time?
- Is it a seller’s market?
- Need to sell now or can you wait? How flexible are you, in terms of when to sell?
- Is your house ready to be sold as is?
2. The “Decision”:
After our meeting, you should have all the information you need to help you decide on what you want to do next.
- Sleep on it, and think about what you’d like to do
- Make the right decision
- Weigh out the pros and cons
3. The “Evaluation”:
We will help you determine the value of your home using current market data and in-depth analysis.
- How much is your home worth in the current market?
- Get an appraisal
- Comparative Market Analysis
- Will you be doing any renovation work prior to selling? This can positively impact the value of your home.
4. The “Fixer-Upper”:
Everyone has their own reasoning for wanting to sell, but the one factor that’s the same across the board is wanting to get as much as you can for your home.
- Do you want to do renovations to make it more appealing?
- Picking renovations based on return on investment
- Do you need to enhance your curb appeal?
- Have you had a home inspection done?
- Keep your receipts and record any repairs done
5. The “Strategy”:
Now you’ve decided to sell, you got a market evaluation done and your home meets curb appeal – let’s crunch some numbers. As your agents, we’ll help you with:
- A plan of action for selling your home
- Determining an effective listing price and strategy
- Personalized marketing plan
6. The “Listing”:
This is more than just sticking a sign on your lawn and putting a listing up on MLS.
- List on MLS
- Put up lawn signs
- Marketing your home using traditional and innovative methods such as Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
7. The “Staging”:
Want to leave a lasting impression? It’s as simple as creating a “live-in” feeling for the buyer. The key is to have a potential buyer walk in to your home and they can already see themselves living there.
- Staging your home: Putting the 3-D effect in action — Declutter, Depersonalize, and Decorate
- Prepping an Open House – a successful open house is bound to generate quick interest in your home
8. The “Offer”:
Leave all the fine print to us — you have enough on your plate. We’ll help you review an Offer to purchase and discuss all the details:
- Receiving offers
- Counter offering
- Generating multiple offers
- Negotiating deals
9. The “Closing”:
Knowing what to expect will bring you peace of mind. It’s basically pay-day for the sellers but there are still a few remaining things that you need to do:
- Hiring a Lawyer — there’s a lot of money on the line and a mountain of paperwork. You want to make sure you hire the right professional to take care of all the complex legal work
- Closing costs
- Discharge of Mortgage
10. The “Move”:
Although you might be leaving a home where you built a lot of memories, you are about to start a new adventure. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Updating your address
- Transferring and/or cancelling utilities and services
- Canada Post Mail Forwarding
- Donate unwanted items to charity
- Have a yard sale
- Packing supplies
- Call the movers